Thursday, February 16, 2012

Not a Sell Out. Not a Handout. Just Handmade. . . in the USA.

www.caughtREDhanded.etsy.com
I may, perhaps, be one of those people that "likes to be different. . . like everybody else" lol. But honestly, there is this part of me that craves to be unique, to own things and wear things that create conversation or that have meaning, or that challenge the go-with-the-flow train of thought.  I think that part of myself is what ultimately led me to become an artist and, in a round-about way, describes this movement, this phenomenon "Handmade in the USA".

I have never been the cookie-cutter type, or the follower and over time that has gotten me into a few binds. . . hence the name of our brand "CaughtREDhanded." In fact, CaughtREDhanded was started on that very premise: Don't be afraid to be unique. Don't be afraid to take a chance or to stand for what you believe in. . . and don't be afraid when you are "CAUGHT" making that stand.

Every studio needs a good luck charm! My little artist in the making:)
When you buy handmade, you are buying a piece of art and a piece of American culture. You are supporting a local company that stimulates our local economy and, often times, allows mommies like me to work from home and raise their children without losing their personal identity along the way. Without a handout or selling out, I get to be mommy and CEO. I get to live the ultimate dream, and you are part of it. . . YOU are part of MY dream.

Because of CaughtREDhanded, and you, and maybe my slightly flawed desire for the unique, we also buy handmade every way we possibly can. I want to be a part of another mom's, wife's, best friend's, made-by-hand, handout-free, handmade dream. . .

I want to inspire you to dream while supporting someone else's. Our blog is often going to highlight some other amazing and talented artists here in Cleveland, or across the US. Hopefully CaughtREDhanded, my story, and the stories I will be featuring here of handmade artists to come, will inspire you to add a little American culture back into your life and to support a handout-free, handmade dream of your own or that of a another.

One of my favorite artists once said:

"Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination, do not become the slave of your model." 

And I have a feeling if Van Gogh was around today, he might finish that statement with "support handmade". . . right before he cut off his other ear in protest;)

1 comment:

Abracadebra Designs said...

Hey there, Just discovered your lovely blog. Great post here. Thank you for helping to spread the word about buying handmade.
-Debbie