Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Banning Big Business

As a general rule I do not use large distributors to purchase supplies for my jewelry and accessory lines. I do not like big business--never have. I would even be willing to pay a bit more to buy local and have great customer service enhanced by a business relationship. To me, it is worth it to pay a bit more sometimes. I try to practice the same philosophy in my everyday life as well (with Babies 'R Us topping my Big Business Ban list).

Most of the time I am thrilled with my suppliers. I do so much research before I choose a distributor with the intention of being around for the long haul. I hate switching distributors; it is just such a hassle for a new company to learn your business practices. Despite my utter disdain for leaving a business relationship, I had to cut ties with one of my longest running distributors.

We hand design and construct all of our belt buckles but we purchase the belts (I am not out skinning a cow or anything--let's be real). I have been having some issues with my belt distributer for almost a year now but he, Bill, had assured me the issues were ironed out and we would be sailing smooth this year. Needless to say, it is April, and I still do not have a complete order from December.

I think it is tragic when a local business loses it's concern for customer relations. I understand Babies R' Us--what do they need my buck for? But as a small business owner, I will do my best to keep you happy. I love and depend on my customers and deeply appreciate them. . . where have our American values really gone? What are you we willing to sacrifice for a buck. . .

2 comments:

Pretty Things said...

Not at all cool -- whatever happened to customer service?

Caught RED Handed said...

I don't know but I sure hope things start to change. . . so sad